Smoke Detector Alerts Sleeping Woman To Fire In Her Bed

Incident Type
Candle
Dispatch
Wednesday, August 9, 2017 - 1:10am
Arrival
Wednesday, August 9, 2017 - 1:14am
Address
600 Block N. Frances Street
Madison, WI 53703
Narrative

A downtown resident fell asleep Tuesday night with a candle still burning on the windowsill next to her bed. While she was sleeping, the flame of the candle came in contact with her mattress and pillows, igniting a fire.

Smoke detectors activated, waking up the occupant in time for her to get out of the bed and call 911.

Prior to firefighters' arrival, she tossed a few cups of water on the flames to put out the fire. When Engine Company 1 entered the apartment, they confirmed the fire was fully extinguished.

The fire left behind a foot-long burn pattern on the mattress and damaged two pillows. There was no damage to the adjacent wall or any other part of the bed.

Although the occupant did have an injury resulting from the incident, she declined all medical treatment and transport to the hospital.

Posted 08/09/2017 - 8:12am
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)