Smoldering Clothes Send Firefighters To East Side Laundromat

Incident Type
Appliance
Dispatch
Monday, October 9, 2017 - 9:00pm
Arrival
Monday, October 9, 2017 - 9:04pm
Address
3500 Block East Washington
Madison, WI
Narrative

Smoke from smoldering clothing inside a local Laundromat also affected a restaurant next door.

Firefighters were called to Dana Lou’s Coin Laundry Parlor at 9:00 p.m. Monday. Engine Company 8 found smoke coming from the Laundromat as they arrived at the intersection of Stoughton Road and East Washington Ave. Firefighters entered the facility and removed smoldering laundry from a dryer unit. They wheeled the clothing and the dryer unit outside, where the clothing ignited into flames. Engine 8 knocked down the fire with a water can extinguisher, then deployed their bumper line to cool the clothing and smoldering dryer unit with water and foam.

Ladder Company 8 ventilated the Laundromat, as well as the restaurant adjacent to it, OM Indian Fusion Cuisine. The Health Department was notified due to smoke filling the restaurant, affecting the food prep area and open food containers.

There were no injuries.

Posted 10/10/2017 - 8:38am
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)