Steam Mistaken For Smoke On Butler Street

Incident Type
Smoke Scare
Monday, November 6, 2017 - 1:58pm
Monday, November 6, 2017 - 2:02pm
100 Block N. Butler St
Madison, WI 53703

A N. Butler Street resident called 911 Monday concerned about the sight of smoke coming from the base of a chimney at a nearby house. Upon firefighters' arrival, there were no active signs of smoke or fire from three sides of the three-story brick house that had been converted to apartments. Engine Company 12 began to investigate and found a crew working on the boiler in the basement. The crew said a large crack in the boiler created a steam leak out of the chimney. There was never any fire. A heating and cooling company is slated to work on repairs.

Posted 11/07/2017 - 8:37am

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)