Sunlight Reflecting Off Mirror Starts Small Fire In Northside Home

Incident Type
Structure
Dispatch
Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 11:44am
Arrival
Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 11:48am
Address
Texas Trail
Madison, WI 53706
Narrative

Sunlight reflecting onto clothing materials from a tabletop mirror is believed to be the cause of a small fire that damaged a north-side home.

A neighbor was out walking his dog when he spotted a flame in the front window of a nearby house. He called 911, which prompted a full structure fire response from the Madison Fire Department.

Engine Company 10 was directed toward the exact location of the fire when they arrived on scene just three minutes after receiving the call.

Nobody was home as firefighters peered through the window, noticing a small flame on top of a chair situated next to a dining table. The room was charged with gray smoke banked halfway down to the floor.

Medic 10 extinguished the fire by deploying a water can extinguisher through the window. Engine 10 entered the home to ensure the fire was fully extinguished and had not extended.

Upon examining the scene, it was evident to the crew that the fire did not originate from an electrical outlet, appliance, candles, or other potential ignition sources.

Thanks to the observant neighbor who called 911 right away, and the swift response from Engine Company 10, the fire was caught early and kept damage to a minimum. Damage is estimated at $2000.

Posted 08/24/2017 - 7:51am
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)