Unattended Cooking Brings Firefighters To Downtown Complex

Incident Type
Cooking
Dispatch
Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 12:02am
Arrival
Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 12:04am
Address
700 Block Braxton Place
Madison, WI 53703
Narrative

Residents of a Braxton Place apartment complex evacuated the building as firefighters arrived to investigate a fire alarm activation there.

Engine Company 1 made their way up to the third floor, where they were met with heavy smoke in the hallway. The crew made access to one apartment which had smoke banked down to the floor, and charred food was discovered on the stovetop. Firefighters placed the burnt food under running water, then began opening windows and ventilating the apartment and hallways.

As smoke began to clear, firefighters noted several concerns inside the apartment, namely that three of the four stovetop burners were in use, along with a separate slow cooker, while nobody was home attending to the appliances. Hoarding conditions also made it difficult for anybody inside the unit, including firefighters, to move freely and safely.

Nobody was injured or displaced as a result of the incident, but property managers stated they would work with the occupant to attempt to remedy these safety risks.

Posted 08/28/2017 - 10:35am
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)