Working Carbon Monoxide Alarm Prompts Household Evacuation Overnight

Incident Type
Carbon Monoxide
Dispatch
Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 11:55pm
Arrival
Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 12:02am
Address
Shorewood Hills, WI 53705
Narrative

A carbon monoxide alarm activation around midnight prompted a woman in Shorewood Hills to grab the dog and get outside right away. Engine Company 9 was called in to investigate along with the Shorewood Hills Police Department.

Asked if she’d been feeling any symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, the woman did say she had a headache for a couple of days and had been feeling nauseous.

Engine 9’s crew entered the home and immediately found CO levels near 60 parts per million on the first floor. Levels were higher in the basement, where firefighters found two boilers running.

The crew opened windows on the first and second floors to get fresh air into the house. Their air monitors indicated CO levels immediately began to drop.

It is believed that recent activities related to some home repair projects might have contributed to an outburst of CO from the boilers in the basement. MGE responded to the home to take a closer look, and Engine 9 advised the homeowner to have the boilers serviced to ensure they’re working properly.

Because of the CO levels found inside the home and the symptoms she experienced, firefighters advised the occupant to be evaluated at the hospital. She wished not to be taken by ambulance but agreed to drive herself to the ER.

Posted 06/13/2018 - 12:54pm
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)