Working Detectors Lead Firefighters Toward Grill Inside Garage

Incident Type
Carbon Monoxide
Dispatch
Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 12:13am
Arrival
Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 12:18am
Address
1800 Block Kendall Ave
Madison, WI
Narrative

The sound of two detectors was enough to wake up a Kendall Avenue resident who could smell something burning in her basement. She called 911, and a full structure fire response was dispatched to the home.

Firefighters met the occupant who directed them toward the basement. There, Ladder Company 1 found a slight smell of smoke, but they also discovered that both detectors that activated were actually carbon monoxide detectors, not smoke detectors.

The crew retrieved its SENSIT air monitor and found carbon monoxide readings of 60 parts per million at the front door of the residence and 100-200 parts per million in the basement. While examining the garage, they found more smoke and a smoldering charcoal grill. They promptly removed the grill from the garage and extinguished it with a few buckets of water

The resident who called in the alarm said some of her roommates had been grilling that evening and now were gone for the night. Ladder 1 talked with the resident about how dangerous it is to have a grill inside the home just after using it.

Firefighters checked on neighbors in the adjacent duplex and confirmed that their unit was not impacted by the carbon monoxide buildup next door.

Posted 07/20/2017 - 8:28am
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)