1 Person Transported to Hospital After Kitchen Fire
Sunday, October 19, 2014 - 12:27pm
One person was transported to Meriter Hospital after a fire broke out inside a 2-flat apartment on Mifflin Street.
A neighbor called 911 to report the resident of 2418 E. Mifflin Street ran across the street and told him her kitchen was on fire after she was cooking on the stove, and was unable to extinguish the fire.
City of Madison Crews were dispatched at 7:30 am and were on the scene by 7:34 am. When crews arrived, they were faced with fire conditions as well as immediate needs of an injured occupant.
Engine 3 rapidly deployed a hose line and made an aggressive interior attack on a smoke charred second floor apartment fire. Due to smoke conditions, additional crews performed a crucial search to look for additional victims. None were found. The fire was extinguished within 7 minutes.
The 2nd floor apartment suffered extensive fire damage. The 1st floor apartment suffered water damage. Total damage is estimated at $40,000. $30,000 in damage to the structure and another $10,000 to its contents.
The resident in the 1st floor apartment was not home at the time of the fire. Red Cross was notified to assist in housing and other emergency needs.
The victim was transported with non-life threatening injuries. A cat from the 2nd floor apartment was taken by City of Madison Animal Control to an emergency vet clinic for treatment.
MG&E assisted MFD at the fire scene and shut off the gas and electrical power to the fire apartment.
The City of Madison Fire Department remind residents not to tamper with life safety devices, such as smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Three out of five home fire deaths result from fires in properties without working smoke alarms.
- More than one-third (37 percent) of home fire deaths result from fires in which no smoke alarms are present.
- The risk of dying in a home fire is cut in half in homes with working smoke alarms.
Source: National Fire Protection Association. www.NFPA.org
- Bernadette Galvez608email@example.com