$150,000+ in Damages At East Side Restaurant Fire

Saturday, November 15, 2014 - 6:16pm

Madison firefighters responded to a fire today at the Great Dane Pub Eastside at 876 Jupiter Drive in Madison.

The call came in just before 1 pm when grease ignited up the ventilation shaft of the kitchen grill. This was above the hood suppression system. The system still activated, but the fire traveled up a shaft and into a 12 foot interstitial space and flames could also be seen from the roof of the 3 story tri-level restaurant.

Engine Company 5 and Medic Unit 5, housed in the neighborhood at the corner of Cottage Grove and Acewood, responded from quarters and arrived on the scene quickly to mitigate the fire. Upon arrival they found active flame and smoke in the kitchen area where patrons were being evacuated.

Paramedics from Medic 5 and firefighters evacuated the occupants of the restaurant, ensuring that everyone exited safely, from the first, second and 3rd floor.

Ladder 8 and ladder 6 arrived and set up their ladder towers to access the roof safely and prepare for fire attack if needed. Ladder 8 also advanced a hoseline down the ventilation shaft that was producing a large amount of fire. The fire was extinguished in 22 minutes from the time of the first fire dispatch.

Thanks to the quick thinking of the first arriving firefighters and the Great Dane Staff, everybody was evacuated safely with no injuries to civilians or firefighters.

Damages were limited to the first floor kitchen and the third floor kitchen/bar area. Estimate of damages will run upwards of about $150,000.00

The restaurant will remain closed at least through the weekend.
 

Contacts: 

Agency: 
Fire
Area: 
East
Category: 
Health & Safety