Firefighters Help Resident to Safety Following Apartment Fire

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 - 10:54am

Madison firefighters responded to an apartment fire this evening at 5:30 p.m. Crews were called to 914 Vernon Avenue on Madison's east side with a report of an occupant who needed assistance escaping from her apartment, which was filling with smoke.

Engine Company 5 and Medic 5 arrived on scene in less than three minutes. They found smoke in the hallways on the first floor and located the fire in the basement.

Paramedics from Medic 5 assisted an occupant in getting out of the structure
.
Engine 5 crew members advanced a hoseline into the basement and extinguished the fire within 10 minutes of their arrival.

Fire investigators believe the fire was the result of discarded smoking materials that smoldered between the building and its foundation, eventually burning into the basement. Damages are estimated at between $7,000 and $8,000. There were no injuries.
 

Contacts: 
  • Lori Wirth, (608) 266-5947

Agency: 
Fire
Area: 
East
Category: 
Health & Safety