Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 5:55pm
A family is displaced following a fire in their home on Madison’s East side this afternoon.
Firefighters were dispatched to the 5400 block of Retana Dr. at 3:26 p.m. after smoke was seen coming from the attached garage.
The family was not home at the time the fire started. When they arrived home and opened the garage door, smoke rolled out into the driveway.
Engine Company 13, Madison’s newest fire station, was the first-in crew. On arrival, firefighters saw dark smoke banking down in the garage. As the Company Officer came to the rear of the house, he saw flames coming from a kitchen window at the back of the house.
Crews quickly pulled an attack line, entering through the garage and into the house, using a thermal imaging camera to locate the seat of the fire in the kitchen. The fire was knocked down at 3:39 p.m.
As firefighters performed a search and rescue, they found the family’s dog, unconscious, near the front door. Firefighters performed compressions and provided oxygen, but the dog died of smoke inhalation.
There were no other injuries.
Early estimates place the damage at approximately $65,000.
- Lori Wirth, (608) 575-4943, firstname.lastname@example.org