MFD Responds to Condominium Fire

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 4:01pm

This morning, at approximately 9:00AM, Madison Fire Department was called for a report of a structure fire at 3138 Dorchester Way.  While enroute, Ladder 7 reported black smoke showing from McKee Rd.  Medic 7 was first on scene and reported a working structure fire.  Following right behind them was Ladder 7, with both units arriving approximately 5 minutes after the initial call.
Ladder 7 investigated and found a working kitchen fire.  Entry was made, with fire attack by Engine 7 and Medic 7, and search and rescue performed by Ladder 7.  All occupants and pets escaped unharmed, thanks to quick thinking, working smoke alarms, and a rapid response by MFD.
The fire was contained to a single condominium unit, and originated in the kitchen area.  There is heavy smoke and fire damage throughout the unit, with very light smoke damage in the adjoining unit.  The aggressive interior attack prevented any further damage elsewhere in the building.
A total of 32 personnel responded to the fire scene.
One family has been displaced as a result of the fire.  Cause of the fire has been established as an accidental cooking fire during food preparation.  Damages of $100,000 are estimated.
Please remember that smoke alarms save lives.  Almost two-thirds of home fire deaths resulted from fires in homes with no smoke alarms or no working smoke alarms.  When there is a fire, smoke spreads fast and you need smoke alarms to give you time to get out.
Make sure your home is safe for you and your family by following these safety tips:

  • Install smoke alarms on every level of the home, in each bedroom, and outside each bedroom.
  • Test your smoke alarms every month.
  • Make an escape plan and have a fire drill to practice your plan.
  • When the alarm sounds, get out and stay out.
  • After you have escaped, call 9-1-1 from a safe place.
  • Never go back inside the building for any reason.

Also, when it comes to cooking:

  • Never leave cooking unattended
  • Children should not cook while unsupervised by an adult
  • Hot oil can be dangerous, even when attended


Health & Safety