Wednesday, December 3, 2014 - 10:13pm

Madison firefighters responded to a fire today at the Red Robin Restaurant on the Eastside at 2440 East Springs Drive in Madison.
 
The call came in just before 7 pm when grease ignited up the ventilation shaft of the kitchen grill. This was above the hood suppression system. The system still activated, but the fire traveled up a shaft and into the interstitial space and flames could also be seen from the roof of the restaurant resulting in multiple 911 calls reporting the fire.
 
Engine and Ladder Company 8 and Medic Unit 10, responded from quarters and arrived on the scene quickly to mitigate the fire. Upon arrival they found active flame and smoke in the kitchen area while patrons were being evacuated in the dining area.
 
Paramedics from Medic 10 and firefighters from Engine 8 & 11 evacuated the occupants of the restaurant, ensuring that everyone exited safely.
 
Engine 8 attacked the fire on ground floor with a hose line and Ladder 8 arrived and set up their ladder towers to access the roof safely and prepare for fire attack if needed.  Ladder 8 used extinguishers down the ventilation shaft from the second story.
 
The fire was extinguished in 8 minutes from the time of the first arriving units.
 
Thanks to the quick thinking of the first arriving firefighters and the Red Robin staff everybody was evacuated safely with no injuries to civilians or firefighters.
 
Damages were limited to the kitchen.  Estimate of damages will run upwards of about $40,000.00
 
The restaurant will remain closed until repairs are completed.

Contacts: 

Agency: 
Fire
Area: 
East
Category: 
Health & Safety