Sprinkler Douses Cooking Fire in 3rd Floor Apartment – No Injuries

Friday, February 27, 2015 - 6:03pm

Seventeen residents of a downtown apartment building are safe following a cooking fire in a 3rd floor apartment in the 500 block of West Mifflin.

An occupant was cooking on the stovetop when oil in a pan ignited. The flames set off a sprinkler head in the kitchen, which put out the fire. There was minimal smoke damage from the fire, but some water did flow into lower floors.

Madison Fire Department Ladder Company 1 and Engine Company 4 were dispatched at 2:49 p.m. this afternoon. They immediately responded to the third floor and shut down the water flow. A plumber and electrician were called to the scene to bring water and electricity back on line.

There was no word of when residents would be able to resume living in the apartments, but all were able to arrange overnight accommodations.

Damages to the building and its contents are still being calculated.
 

Contacts: 

Agency: 
Fire
Area: 
Central
Category: 
Health & Safety