Saturday, May 5, 2018 - 10:41pm
An aggressive fire attack by Madison firefighters kept an apartment fire contained to the room of origin, preventing extensive damage to the 20-unit apartment building.
Engine 10, Engine 3, Engine 13, Medic 10, Ladder 8, Ladder 8 and Duty Chief F8 responded to 1900 block of Northport Drive at 7:18 p.m.
Units from the other side of the City were called to respond due to a water rescue incident earlier that evening.
Firefighters entered the front door of the apartment, encountering heavy smoke. The second story bedroom area was fully involved. Madison Fire Fighters quickly extinguished the fire.
Smoke and fire damage was limited to the single apartment.
The fire caused approximately $15,000 damage to the apartment building and some contents.
The cause of the fire is under investigation. No injuries were reported at the scene.
The Red Cross is assisting the occupants.
Please remember that smoke alarms save lives. Almost two-thirds of home fire deaths resulted from fires in homes with no smoke alarms or no working smoke alarms. When there is a fire, smoke spreads fast and you need smoke, alarms to give you time to get out.
Make sure your home is safe for you and your family by following these safety tips:
- Install smoke alarms on every level of the home, in each bedroom, and outside each bedroom.
- Test your smoke alarms every month.
- Make an escape plan and have a fire drill to practice your plan.
- When the alarm sounds, get out and stay out.
- After you have escaped, call 9-1-1 from a safe place.
Never go back inside the building for any reason.
- Joe Seifert608firstname.lastname@example.org