Two People Displaced Following Candle Fire in Apartment
Saturday, August 30, 2014 - 1:45am
An aggressive fire attack by Madison firefighters last night kept an apartment fire contained to the room of origin, preventing extensive damage to the 8-unit apartment building.
Ladder Company 6 responded to 322 Kent Lane at 10:20 Friday night for an undetermined alarm. The call came in from a neighbor who reported hearing a smoke alarm in another apartment. When Ladder 6 arrived, the occupant directed them to the first-floor apartment.
Firefighters entered the common hallway through the front door of the building, encountering light smoke. As they forced entry into the apartment, they found it fully charged with smoke, but with no heat. The stove was clear and crews made their way to a bedroom door at the rear of the unit. The door was closed and hot to the touch, prompting the company officer to call for a first alarm assignment.
Upon entering the bedroom, crews observed flames and heavy smoke. Ladder 6 proceeded with an offensive fire attack, stretching a hoseline into the bedroom and extinguishing the fire within minutes.
Following knockdown, firefighters used positive pressure ventilation to clear the smoke.
During overhaul, firefighters noted burn patterns in the carpet that were consistent with burning liquids. A fire investigator was called to the scene. As the investigation began, the occupant of the apartment returned home.
She reported that she had left candles burning in the bedroom.
Fire investigators were able to verify her account based on evidence at the scene. The fire is believed to be unintentional. Damages are estimated at $15,000. The Red Cross is assisting the occupants. There were no injuries.
- Lori Wirth(608) 575-4943