Green Madison PROGRAM FACTS
- As part of the Green Madison program, the cost of a Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® evaluation is just $200 (a $400 value).
- On average, a Home Performance with ENERGY STAR evaluation takes three hours from start to finish. Once your evaluation is complete, your energy consultant will follow up with a written list of recommended improvements based on the evaluation findings, and will return after the improvements are made to verify the work is complete and effective.
- Because all homes are different, there is no "average" cost of improvements. That's why the Green Madison loan option through Summit Credit Union offers financing for improvements ranging from as little as $1,000 to as much as $15,000.
- Just as all homes are different, so are all homeowners. The length of time it takes to complete the Green Madison process from start to finish depends largely on your motivation as the homeowner. Some other factors include time of year-summers get busy!-and program demand. We've seen projects completed in as little as a few months and as long as a couple of years.
ENERGY-EFFICIENCY FACTS: HOME & BUSINESS
- Homes and commercial buildings account for about 40 percent of our energy use in the United States and are responsible for nearly 40 percent of the country's greenhouse gas emissions.
- If just one out of every 10 homes and commercial building in the United States reduced their building's energy consumption by 25 percent, that could save $8 billion per year and reduce our country's greenhouse gas emissions by an amount equal to removing 12 million cars from the road.
- The average American household spends nearly $2,000 per year on energy used in the home, but $200 to $400-or more!-of that could be going to waste due to drafts, air leaks, and outdated heating and cooling systems.
- Nationally, Commercial buildings account for 18% of the nation's energy use and nearly 18% of our greenhouse gas emissions.
- Energy-efficient homes are more comfortable and safe because they reduce drafts, noise, pollen, and air-quality problems. Because American's spend about 90 percent of their time indoors, it's important to maintain a comfortable and safe environment.
- US commercial and industrial buildings spend over $200 billion a year on energy and 30% is used inefficiently or unnecessarily.
- Commercial buildings on the national level, expend 36% of their energy use on space heating, followed by 21% on lighting and 8% on air conditioning.