- All Agencies
- Building Inspection
- Civil Rights
- Common Council
- Community Development
- Economic Development
- Goodman Pool
- Housing Authority
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Madison City Channel
- Madison Public Library
- Madison Senior Center
- Mayor's Office
- Metro Transit
- Monona Terrace
- Municipal Court
- Office of Business Resources
- Office of Economic Revitalization
- Office of Real Estate Services
- Olbrich Botanical Gardens
- Parking Utility
- Planning, Community & Economic Development
- Public Health Madison & Dane County
- Public Works
- Streets & Recycling
- Traffic Engineering
- Warner Park Community Recreation Center
- Water Utility
eNews from Mayor Paul R. Soglin May 2015
City News & Updates
I am pleased that our consultant team put together a thorough report that demonstrates a strong concept for the Madison Public Market. This is a major step forward for the project and is yet another indication of the strong interest, both from the public and private sectors, in investment in our local and regional food system. We look forward to hearing from the community as the final plan is developed.
The full business plan report can be found at the City of Madison Public Market website, which includes links to RSVP for upcoming meetings, the ability to sign-up to receive project updates via email, and an input page to submit comments and ideas.
The grant is to re-develop and revitalize a vacant/underutilized former industrial area by constructing Madison's first skate park at the newly developed Central Park. The project has included extensive public involvement in the planning and design of the skate park. Youth and young adults have played an active role in the design, fundraising and realization of this important new park amenity for Madison residents. The skate park will offer a safe and attractive destination for people of all skate skill levels. Construction has started and will continue through the summer with an anticipated completion date in mid-August.
The deadline to register for Make Music Madison 2015 is quickly approaching! Don't miss the chance to showcase your musical talents in over 90 venues across the City of Madison. There is no fee to register and the City will take care of permits for public spaces; all you need to do is make some music. Registration closes on May 8, 2015. Our city is full of talented musicians and I look forward to seeing them in action once again! Registration Information
Photo Credit: Archie Nicolette
The City of Madison is providing $300,000 for financial assistance to incentivize the establishment of a full-service, affordable grocery store in the Allied Drive neighborhood. The City is seeking proposals from developers, property owners, and/or grocery store operators that will seek the funding in the form of a low-interest and/or partially forgivable loan.
The letter of intent to apply is due on May 15, 2015 and final proposals are due June 15, 2015. Proposals for the funds will be reviewed by City staff, the Madison Food Policy Council and Economic Development Committee and approved by the Madison Common Council.
Madison Parks would like your assistance in establishing a pilot program for 2015 continuing through April 1, 2016, by identifying 10-20 additional parks that dogs on a leash may be permitted. There will be standard rules established for these selected parks such as dogs must be on a non-retractable, 6 ft or less leash and remain within 6 ft of the designated path. These rules will be monitored and strictly enforced by park rangers at these pilot parks. 2015 Pilot Program Survey
Madison Parks values your opinion and input!
Congratulations to Jefferson Middle School on their first place win at the 21st Annual 100 Black Men of Madison African American History Challenge Bowl!
They will now go on to compete at the National 100 Black Men of America Conference against other chapters. I know that they will make Madison proud!
The City of Madison Traffic Engineering Department is looking for ways to improve bicycle and moped parking in Downtown Madison! The survey asks for input on use and interest in bicycle and moped parking downtown. The online survey is open now until May 15th. I encourage Madison residents to take advantage of this opportunity to have your voice heard by taking the survey.
Welcome New Common Council Members
I would like to welcome Alders Barbara McKinney, District 1, Amanda Hall, District 3, Zach Wood, District 8, Sara Eskrich, District 13, Sheri Carter, District 14, Samba Baldeh, District 17 and Rebecca Kemble, District 18 and wish you well as you settle in to your new responsibilities.
New Common Council President and Pro-Tem
The Madison Common Council elected Alder Denise DeMarb, District 16, to the position of President and Alder Maurice Cheeks, District 10 has been elected to the position of President Pro-Tem. Congratulations to Alders DeMarb and Cheeks and I look forward to working with you.
Committees, commissions, and boards play a significant role in helping city staff, the Common Council and the Mayor in making decisions that affect the lives of Madison residents. The City of Madison values broad participation in these bodies and highly encourages people of color, persons with disabilities and members of other traditionally underrepresented groups to apply. Committee positions are open to City of Madison residents.
Find out about current vacancies, select the committees you would like to serve on, complete the application (MS Word) and email to Mayor's Office. Then electronically submit your Statement of Interests form.
Get Ready for Summer!
There are lots of fun things to do and see in Madison!
- Register your child for Swimming Lessons at Goodman Pool, on Olin Avenue
- Sign your child up for MSCR Summer Classes and Camps at Warner Park Community Recreation Center
- Enjoy Ride the Drive - June 7, 2015
- Discover Madison's Wildside at one of Madison Parks beautiful Conservation Parks
- Check out the many Summer Kids Programs at your Madison Public Library
- Plan to attend one or all of the Monona Terrace Rooftop Concert series
- Spend time in the various gardens at Olbrich Botanical Gardens
- Come to Monona Terrace for Lakeside Kids on Wednesday mornings and enjoy this eclectic and educational program designed for children ages four and up.
Art Experiences at the Bubbler @ Madison Public Central Library
Night Light: Gallery Night + Herocon kickoff | Friday, May 1, 5-10pm
Join the Bubbler from 5-10pm for Gallery Night. Featuring artists Suzanne Torres, Caroline Hoffman, Juliette Walker, and Artists in Residence from 100 Arts: Ady Stahl, Kailey Barthel, and Mike L'Roy. Sculpture, collage, and multimedia art pieces on display through out the building. Drinks by Forequarter and a beautiful view of Gallery Night festivities around downtown from the 3rd floor gallery windows.
- Home Composting with George Dreckmann 05/01 Hawthorne Library
- Night Light: Gallery Night 05/01 Central library
- Calling all Artists! An Artful Affair Senior Show 05/01 Madison Senior Center
- Big I, Little U Fitness Fun: Movement, Music and Dancing for the Whole Family! 05/02 Goodman South Madison Library
- PlayTime Productions Presents: Snow White 05/03 Central Library
- Warner Family Fun Nights - May 8 05/08 Warner Park Community Recreation Center
- Wild at Heart: Nature Writing in the City 05/09 Central Library
- Wingra Woodwind Quintet performs at Madison Senior Center 05/11 Madison Senior Center
- PiYo at Monona Terrace 05/13 Monona Terrace Community and Convention Center
- Wright Design Series 05/14 Monona Terrace Community and Convention Center
- Meet with an Outreach Worker from Joining Forces for Families 05/18 Goodman South Madison Library
- 18th Annual Book Club Café featuring author Julie Schumacher 05/19 Central Library
- Women and Investing 05/19 Madison Senior Center
- Meadowridge Minecraft Club 05/20 Meadowridge Library
- Tax-free Investing: It's What You Keep 05/21 Madison Senior Center
- PiYo at Monona Terrace 05/22 Monona Terrace Community and Convention Center
- Little Yoga 05/22 Sequoya Library
- PiYo at Monona Terrace 05/29 Monona Terrace Community and Convention Center
Go to the City Event Calendar for more fun City and Community events!
- Make Music Madison 2015 Registration
- Downtown Bicycling and Moped Parking Survey
- POP! Challenge
- Earth Day
- Full Service Schools
- The Consequences of Civil Disobedience
- Central Park Skatepark
- Congratulations to Alicia Ashman Library.
- City of Madison Selected for Third Americas Competitiveness Exchange Tour Blog
- 100 Black Men of Madison African American History Challenge Bowl Blog
- Madison Ranked the 3rd Healthiest City
- On Wisconsin
Go to Mayor Soglin's Blog.