eNews from Mayor Paul R. Soglin October 2014
Last month, I proposed the 2015 Executive Capital Budget and 2015-2020 Capital Improvement Plan [CIP] which reflects the continuing need to replace our City's aging infrastructure while investing in affordable housing; encouraging economic growth; and increasing Quality of Life services for all.
2015 Executive Capital and 2015-2020 Capital Improvement Plan Highlights include:
- $8.3 million in 2015 for neighborhood centers [$38 million in CIP]
- $4.25 million in 2015 for affordable housing [$24 million in CIP]
- $4.1 million in 2015 for renovation of the landmark Municipal Building [$30 million in CIP]
- $1.8 million in 2015 for Emerald Ash Borer response [$14 million in CIP]
- $8.25 million in 2015 for a public market [$10 million in CIP]
City News & Updates
The City of Madison has created an infographic to assist voters who are trying to determine whether they have an ID that will be acceptable for voting purposes.
If have not had a chance to visit the new space, you won't be disappointed. There is additional space, small meeting rooms, a quiet room with a fireplace in addition to dozens of computers. There is of course a children's area, and one for teens as well.
The Craft Fair will showcase regional and local arts and craft vendors and their spectacular works of art. Artists and crafters will be selling original pieces such as ceramics, quilts, jewelry, paintings, and other decorative pieces.
The Fall Festival Craft Fair will be an event the whole family can enjoy with many types of art and handmade items on display, activities and food. Admission is free to the public and will be held outdoors at Olin Park.
The City of Madison invites you to submit nominations for its annual Jeffrey Clay Erlanger Civility In Public Discourse Award. The award honors Jeffrey Clay Erlanger, who was an individual of integrity, passion, intelligence, and civility.
All nominations must be received no later than 4:30pm, October 31, 2014.
Collection continues as long as weather permits usually into the first week of December. You may also bring your material to our drop off sites.
Wisconsin Book Festival Is October 16-19 in Downtown Madison.
The 2014 Wisconsin Book Festival will feature local literary talents alongside national voices to create a unique event full of free community programs in keeping with the library's vision: learn, share, and create. The four-day festival will host more than 50 events incorporating literature, film, art, and performance. The Wisconsin Book Festival is presented by Madison Public Library in partnership with Madison Public Library Foundation.
Most events will occur at Madison Public Library's Central Library (201 W. Mifflin St.), with other event venues within a one-mile walking distance, including the Wisconsin Historical Museum, A Room of One's Own, The Kitchen Gallery, Overture Center for the Arts, Wisconsin Veteran's Museum, the Chazen Museum, Great Dane Pub, Madison Museum of Contemporary Art and various UW-Madison campus locations, including a series of events at the Wisconsin Institute for Discovery as part of the Wisconsin Science Festival (also occurring October 16-19).
The Government Accountability Board (GAB) encourages all private citizens to vote and to become involved in the election process. One of the most rewarding ways to do this is to become an Election Day poll worker (or "Election Inspector" as the position is formally called).
You have a say! Please join architects from MSR Design for a public meeting about the pre-design of the Madison Municipal Building & City-County Building.
A major component of this design work is to engage the community in this important project. The City has the opportunity to create a civic space that welcomes the public and provides the community with a place to share through art, culture, and information.
When: Wednesday, October 8 at 6:30pm in Madison Municipal Building, Room 300.
Madison Out-of-School Time (MOST), the Madison Metropolitan School District, City of Madison, Dane County, National League of Cities and U.S. Department of Education are coming together for a town hall meeting to hear from you about how Madison can support family and youth engagement as it relates to improving youth outcomes. We hope you can join us.
When: Saturday October 18, 2014 11:00 a.m. - 2:00pm at the Boys & Girls Club of Dane County - Allied Family Center, 4619 Jenewein Road.
Public Input Needed
- Badger Park Playground Public Input Meeting, Thursday, October 2 at 6pm
- Sunset Village Roadwork Construction Project, Thursday, October 2 at 6pm
- Junction Ridge Park Playground Public Meeting, Tuesday, October 7 at 6pm
- James Madison Park Visitor Survey
The City of Madison Parks Division is assessing user needs for James Madison Park and would like your input. The assessment process started with a well-attended public input meeting held last fall. Now they are moving forward with a broader outreach to the surrounding community. The Parks Division has prepared a visitor survey that will help guide potential future development of James Madison Park. Your input regarding the park's current and future recreational opportunities is requested (and appreciated).
Road Works Construction
- Capital City Trail will temporarily close to replace waterway culvert
- Beltline/Verona Road Project
- East Johnson Street Reconstruction
- USH 12 - South Madison Beltline (Tood Drive to IH-39)
- USH 12 - South Madison Beltline (Terrace Avenue to Mineral Point Road)
- Outer Loop Project
- View more Road Works projects
Online photography channel FlakPhoto announced the selection of 42 photographers from nine states for the FlakPhoto Midwest Print Show, set to open on Friday, September 26 in the Diane Endres Ballweg Gallery at the Central Library in downtown Madison, Wisconsin.
Madison's second pavement painting project was recently kicked off in the Knutson Circle cul-de-sac on Knutson Drive on the Northside of Madison.
- Badger Park Playground Public Input Meeting
10/02/2014 Badger Rock Middle School
- Poetry Open Mic
10/02/2014 Central Library
- Fall Festival
10/04/2014 Olin Park
- Dane County Farmers' Market
10/04/2014 Capitol Square
- Friends of the Yahara River Parkway Volunteer Opportunity
10/04/2014 Yahara Parkway
- The Brittany Run - 5K
10/04/2014 Edgewood College
- Walk with a Doc
10/05/2014 Elver Park
- Dane County Fire Chiefs Fire Truck Parade
10/05/2014 State Street & the Capitol Square
- Bird and Nature Walks - October 5
10/05/2014 Cherokee Marsh - North Unit
- Junction Ridge Park Playground Public Input Meeting
10/07/2014 Alicia Ashman Library
- "A Photo Affair" Opens October 10
10/10/2014 Madison Senior Center
- Warner Family Fun Nights - October 10
10/10/2014 Warner Park Community Recreation Center
- Bird and Nature Walks - October 11
10/11/2014 Turville Point
- African Violet Show & Sale
10/11/2014 to 10/12/2014 Olbrich Botanical Gardens
- Walk with a Doc
10/13/2014 Warner Park
- Skills in Computers and Literacy for Employment
10/14/2014 Hawthorne Library
- Discover Madison's Wild Side - South Cherokee
10/15/2014 Cherokee Marsh - South Unit (School Road)
- Wisconsin Book Festival
10/16/2014-10/19/2014 Central Library
- Absentee Voting Begins in Clerk's Office
10/20/2014 City Clerk's Office
- Downtown Madison Family Halloween
10/29/2014 State Street
- Deadline to Request Absentee Ballot by Mail
10/30/2014 City Clerk's Office
- Absentee Voting in Clerk's Office ends today
10/31/2014 City Clerk's Office
- Go to the City Event Calendar for more fun City and Community events!