- All Agencies
- Building Inspection
- Civil Rights
- Common Council
- Community Development
- Economic Development
- Goodman Pool
- Housing Authority
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Madison City Channel
- Madison Public Library
- Madison Senior Center
- Mayor's Office
- Metro Transit
- Monona Terrace
- Municipal Court
- Office of Business Resources
- Office of Economic Revitalization
- Olbrich Botanical Gardens
- Parking Utility
- Planning, Community & Economic Development
- Public Health Madison & Dane County
- Public Works
- Real Estate Services
- Streets & Recycling
- Traffic Engineering
- Warner Park Community Recreation Center
- Water Utility
eNews from Mayor Paul R. Soglin January 2015
City News & Updates
Celebrate the one-year anniversary of 1000 Books Before Kindergarten on Wednesday, January 14 at Pinney Library
Last year the Pinney Library launched 1000 Books Before Kindergarten, a free reading program that encourages parents to read 1000 books with their child before he or she enters school. Celebrate the one-year anniversary of 1000 Books Before Kindergarten with guest readers Mayor Paul Soglin (9 am), Madison Metropolitan School District Superintendent Jennifer Cheatham (9:30 am), Dane County Executive Joe Parisi (10 am), Michelle Li of Channel 3 News (11:30 am), and Pinney Library staff. Refreshments will be served, and each child who registers will receive a free book bag.
The City of Madison Food Policy Council announces the 2015 SEED Grant cycle to address food access issues in our community. SEED Grants are small grants designed to support new and recently emerging projects or programs that support access to healthy food in our community. The City of Madison Budget includes $50,000 in grant money to be given out in 2015.
Potential applicants are strongly encouraged to attend a pre-submittal meeting to discuss the grant application and explore potential collaboration opportunities with other organizations in attendance. Pre-Submission SEED Grant Information Meeting on Tuesday, January 13 at 6:00 p.m., at the Catholic Multicultural Center, 1862 Beld Street, Madison, WI
Madison Water Utility has renewed its popular Toilet Rebate Program for 2015 in hopes of encouraging more homeowners to install water-efficient toilets. Customers can receive one rebate of up to $100 per household if they replace an older toilet with a new, high-efficiency model that uses no more than 1.28 gallons per flush and has been endorsed by the EPA's Water Sense Program.
The Streets Division will collect Christmas trees for recycling. Each neighborhood will receive two collections. You may also bring your trees to our drop off sites. Please note: Collection could be delayed due to winter weather. Snow and ice operations have priority over tree collection.
As bitter cold settles in across the area, there are steps you can take to prevent your home's water pipes from freezing. Here are some simple steps you can take right now to help protect your pipes:
- Insulate pipes in unheated areas like crawl spaces, unheated garages, and attics.
- Pay special attention to pipes near basement windows and make sure they're well-insulated
- Leave some heat on in unused areas of your home.
- If you go out of town for a few days, keep your thermostat on at least 55 degrees and open any cabinets where sink plumbing is against an outside wall.
- If you're leaving town for an extended period, have your home and pipes professionally winterized.
And it's always a good idea to find the master shut off valve that turns the off water to your entire home - it's usually in the basement - and make sure everyone in the family knows where it is in case a pipe does freeze and burst.
Sad to see the Monona Terrace summer rooftop concerts come to an end? Well, check out Funky Dance Madison! The area's hottest DJ's and bands heat up the dance floor on cold winter nights! For the price of a movie, enjoy an evening out and support a worthy cause, because ticket proceeds support the summer Dane Dances on the Monona Terrace rooftop!
- Where Do I Park? Check the widget: cityofmadison.com/WhereDoIPark
- Go to cityofmadison.com/winter & subscribe to Declared Snow Emergency email / text alerts
- Call the 24/7 Winter Parking Hotline: (608) 261-9111
- Facebook: facebook.com/cityofmadisonwinter
- Twitter: twitter.com/madisonwinter
Public Input Needed
- Demetral Park - 2nd Public Input Meeting, Monday, January 12, 2015 at 6:30pm
- Tenney Park - Public Input Meeting, Tuesday, January 13, 2015 at 6pm
- Brittingham Park Playground - 2nd Public Input Meeting, Wednesday, January 14 at 6:00pm
Art Experiences at the Bubbler @ Madison Public Central Library
The Art Boards at Goodman South Madison Library are recreated by neighborhood teens every few months. Check out the video and visit the Goodman South Madison Library for the latest installation.
- Dinner + a Movie: Princess and the Frog (2009) 01/06/2015 Central Library
- Warner Family Fun Nights - January 9 01/09/2015 Warner Park Community Recreation Center
- Groove & Glide - January 9 01/09/2015 Elver Park
- General Job and Writing Assistance 01/12/2015 Central Library
- FoodShare Assistance 01/12/2015 Goodman South Madison Library
- Demetral Park Playground - 2nd Public Input Meeting 01/12/2015 Emerson Elementary School
- Meet the Author: Sandra Adell 01/13/2015 Madison Senior Center
- Meet & Greet Janetta Pegues, the new manager at Goodman South Madison Library 01/13/2015 Goodman South Madison Library
- Tenney Park - Public Input Meeting 01/13/2015 Tenney Park Apartments
- Celebrate a Year of Reading with 1000 Books Before Kindergarten 01/14/2015 Pinney Library
- Brittingham Park Playground - 2nd Public Input Meeting 01/14/2015 Bayview Foundation Community Center
- john a. powell - Beloved Community: Interbeing, Race, Class, and Person ‘Hood 01/14/2015 Central Library
- Community Cinema presents A Path Appears 01/15/2015 Central Library
- Job Mob: A Buffet of Free Employment Services (at Madison College-South) 01/16/2015 Madison College South Campus
- Groove & Glide - January 18 01/18/2015 Vilas (Henry) Park
- Groove & Glide - January 23 01/23/2015 Westmorland Park
- Job Mob: A Buffet of Free Employment Services (at Madison College-South) 01/23/2015 Madison College South Campus
- 'Learn to' Ice Skate 01/24/2015 Vilas (Henry) Park
- Moonlight Snowshoe/Hike with Friends of Cherokee Marsh 01/24/2015 Cherokee Marsh - North Unit
- Meet with an Outreach Worker from Joining Forces for Families 01/26/2015 Goodman South Madison Library
- FoodShare Assistance 01/26/2015 Goodman South Madison Library
Go to the City Event Calendar for more fun City and Community events!