Apartment Fire Displaces Westside Residents

Sunday, January 1, 2012 - 4:42am

A fire forced 29 residents, including children, out of their apartment building at 4:18 am on January 1st, 2012, which was caused by unattended cooking. A resident at 2814 Ashford Lane, was cooking french fries in oil, left the kitchen area for a short time and when he returned he saw fire on the stove. He made an attempt to extinguish the fire before evacuating the building. Upon exiting the building, he pulled the fire alarm. Another resident called 911.

When firefighters arrived, they saw smoke billowing from the East end of the building. They made entry into the structure and noticed heavy smoke throughout the 1st floor hallway. Once they made entry into the fire apartment, the smoke was banked down to the floor. After ventilating the smoke and hot gases from the apartment, the fire was under control by 4:34 am. The alarms were sounding throughout the building, but while firefighters were conducting their search, they found several residents still in their apartments and had to tell the residents to leave, because the building was on fire.

During the fire, someone had driven over the fire hose, damaging the hose and cutting water supply to the firefighters, endangering the firefighters and residents. Another hose line was quickly established, and water was supplied for extinguishment. The person was cited by Madison Police for driving over the hose.

All, but four families were able to return to their apartments. Two apartments suffered fire damage, while the complex suffered smoke damage throughout the hallways on 1st and 2nd floors.

Two residents were evaluated at the scene for minor smoke inhalation, but were not transported.

The fire caused $96,000 in damage.

NEVER drive over a charged fire hose! Water is the valuable tool for firefighters.
Driving over a fire hose…
• Can jeopardize firefighters and your neighbors
• Can damage fire hose
• Is costly if it damages the fire truck
• You will be cited and fined by law enforcement

  • Bernadette Galvez, 608-279-7168
  • , 608-261-9844