Apartment Fire Doused by Sprinklers
Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 10:37am
City of Madison Firefighters were called to a fire at 21 North Butler St. this morning at 11:24.
Investigators believe the fire started when a natural gas pipe broke in a mechanical room at the Butler Plaza apartment building. The pipe supplies the water heater.
When a maintenance worker left the mechanical room to shut off the natural gas, the owner observed fire in the room.
A single sprinkler head extinguished the fire. Damage to the pipe insulation and wiring in the mechanical room is estimated at about $2000.Contacts:
- Lori Wirth, (608) 266-5947