Business and Three Apartments Damaged by Fire
Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 8:35am
Fire and smoke caused an estimated $200,000 damage to an east side business and three apartments this morning. Firefighters were called to the fire at 2750 East Johnson Street at 11:24 AM. When they arrived on scene, firefighters saw smoke and flames coming from the building's eaves.
An aggressive fire attack brought the flames under control within a few minutes. Firefighters searched the building to make sure all occupants were safely evacuated and used fans to clear smoke from the building.
The business, African and American Stores, is closed during the investigation and clean up. The cause of the fire remains under investigation. No injuries were reported.
The American Red Cross is assisting the residents with temporary housing and other personal needs.
Firefighters remind everyone of these safety tips:
• Install smoke alarms on every level of the home and in each sleeping area. Interconnected smoke alarms are will make sure the alarm is heard throughout the home.
• Test your smoke alarms every month.
• Have a home escape plan and practice it twice a year.
• When the alarm sounds, get out and stay out.
• After you have escaped, call 9-1-1 from a safe place.
• Never go back inside the building for any reason.
- Eric Dahl, 608-279-7148