Children Injured in Cooking Mishap

Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 5:26am

Two City of Madison children - a 3- and a 4-year-old - were injured in a cooking accident attheir home Monday night.
The two children were near the stove when a pot of stew tipped over. Both children were transported to the Burn Center at UW Hospitals.

The City of Madison Fire Department reminds residents:
• Have a "kid-free zone" of at least 3 feet around the stove and areas where hot food or drink is prepared or carried.
• Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove.
• If you are simmering, baking, roasting, or boiling food, check it regularly, remain in the home while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.
• Keep anything that can catch fire - oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains - away from your stovetop.
• Keep the stovetop, burners and oven clean.
• Wear short, close-fitting or tightly rolled sleeves when cooking. Loose clothing can dangle onto stove burners and can catch fire if it comes in contact with a gas flame or electric burner.
• Always use cooking equipment that has the label of a recognized testing laboratory.
• Follow manufacturer's instructions and code requirements when installing, cleaning, and operating cooking equipment.
• Plug microwave ovens or other cooking appliances directly into an outlet. Never use an extension cord for a cooking appliance as it can overload the circuit and cause a fire.
• Check electrical cords for cracks, breaks, or damage.

  • Lori Wirth, 608-266-5947