City Receives Four Responses to the Judge Doyle Square Request for Qualifications
Wed, 05/01/2013 - 6:01am
On Tuesday, April 30, the City received four responses to its first stage Request for Qualifications ("RFQ") for qualified real estate development teams to develop Judge Doyle Square. To be located on a two-block area in downtown Madison which is the site of the Madison Municipal Building (Block 88) and the Government East parking garage (Block 105), the project will unite the vibrant Capitol Square with the Monona Terrace Community and Convention Center with a significant mixed use development opportunity comprised of hotel, residential, retail and restaurant uses combined with bicycle and parking facilities, including the replacement of the Government East public parking ramp.
The following teams submitted responses to the RFQ:
1. JDS Development, LLC, a joint venture of the Hammes Company of Madison WI and Majestic Realty of Los Angeles CA, proposes a 250-room hotel plus residential uses on Block 88. The project includes an option to use the Municipal Building for a hotel or have the building remain a city office building. An unspecified number of hotel, office, residential uses, plus a bicycle center would be built on Block 105. Public parking and accessory parking to serve both blocks would be built. The preliminary estimated project cost is $100 to $120 million for Block 88 and $110 to $130 million for Block 105; $210 to $250 million in total.
2. Journeyman Group of Austin TX with development partners, Marcus Hotels and Resorts of Milwaukee WI, The Gialamas Company of Madison WI and LZ Ventures of Madison WI propose a 352-room Marriott full service hotel on Block 88 (or as an alternative, a 219-room Marriott full service hotel and a 133-room Hilton Garden Inn). At grade retail with 81,000 square feet of office, 147 residential units, and a bicycle center are proposed for Block 105. Public parking and accessory parking to serve both blocks would be built. The preliminary estimated project cost is $99.6 million for Block 88 and $88.8 million for Block 105; $188.4 million in total.
3. Mortenson Development, Inc of Minneapolis MN proposes a process to work with the City to develop a specific project to achieve the City's goals for a mixed-use development on Blocks 88 and 105 of hotel, office, retail, residential, bicycle center and parking. Through this process, Mortenson would conduct a competitive hotel brand selection process. The preliminary estimated project cost is at least $114 million.
4. North Central Group of Middleton WI proposes to develop two hotels with a combined total of 325 rooms (a 200-room Marriott Courtyard and a 125 room Marriott Residence Inn), 13,000 square feet of retail including a bicycle center and a 560 space parking facility on Block 105. The proposal covers only Block 105, allowing the City to select another developer for Block 88. The preliminary estimated project cost is $75 - 80 million.
The Judge Doyle Square Committee will meet on Thursday, May 9, 2013 at 5:30 p.m. in Room LL-130 of the Madison Municipal Building, 215 Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard to select the teams that will be invited for interviews. Following the interview process, the Committee will then prequalify a limited number of proposers who will be invited to participate in a subsequent Request for Proposals ("RFP") second stage process that is expected to commence in the third quarter of the 2013 calendar year.
The RFQ responses will be available in the Gallery section of the Judge Doyle Square website at http://www.cityofmadison.com/JudgeDoyleSquare/.
- Katie Crawley, Mayor's Office, 608-266-4611
- George Austin, Judge Doyle Square Project Director, 608-692-6398