CO Alarm Reminder

Monday, November 15, 2010 - 8:51am

A close call in Green Bay this morning should be a wake-up call for anyone who still doesn't have a carbon monoxide alarm in their home.

Four residents of an apartment building on Green Bay's west side were hospitalized and the building was evacuated shortly after 5:00 a.m. because of a carbon monoxide leak.

Firefighters say they were called to the apartment building because the CO detector in one apartment was sounding.

Earlier this year, the Wisconsin State Assembly passed a bill requiring carbon monoxide alarms on all floors of single-family homes and two-unit dwellings. The law goes into effect in February. The detectors are already required in other types of housing.

Improperly vented furnaces and fireplaces are a common source of carbon monoxide leaks, which often leads to an increase in the number of incidents at the start of the home heating season.

The City of Madison Fire Department reminds residents:
•CO alarms should be installed in a central location outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home and in other locations where required by applicable laws, codes or standards.
•Follow the manufacturer's instructions for placement and mounting height.
•Choose a CO alarm that has the label of a recognized testing laboratory.
•Test CO alarms at least once a month; replace them according to the manufacturer's instructions.


  • Lori Wirth(608) 266-5947