CO Levels in East Side Duplex Send 1 to Hospital

Thursday, February 3, 2011 - 9:34am

City of Madison firefighters/paramedics transported a Madison woman to the hospital today after carbon monoxide levels reached 350 parts per million (ppm) in her east side duplex.

For healthy adults, CO becomes toxic when it reaches a level higher than 50 ppm with continuous exposure over an eight hour period. Firefighters and paramedics were called to 1027 Jana Lane at 11:03 a.m. after an MGE worker in the adjacent unit noted the raised levels of CO. MGE had been called earlier because the renter in the neighboring unit had reported a detector going off in his unit. The high reading was actually in the next unit.

When firefighters arrived, they noted the high levels of CO and assessed all occupants at the scene. Only one person was taken to the hospital.

Crews checked to make sure that exhaust vents from the home were clear of snow and ice and saw no blockage.

MGE remained on scene to check the furnace for any malfunction.

To keep your family safe:
• Purchase, install, and maintain CO alarms for each level of your home.
• Keep chimneys, heating and dryer vents clear of snow and ice to prevent a buildup of CO in your home.
• Resist the temptation to warm your car in the garage - even with the garage door open. Alarms do not need to be installed in the attic, garage or storage area of homes.

If the alarm sounds:
• If anyone is feeling ill or having flu-like symptoms (nausea, headache, dizziness) leave the house immediately and call 911
• If there are no signs of illness, turn off any fuel-burning equipment, open windows to bring fresh air into the home, and call your utility company or a heating contractor to inspect your system for problems.

  • Lori Wirth, (608) 575-4943