Discarded Smoking Materials Cause of Monday Fire

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 - 8:49am

Monday's apartment balcony fire at 3120 Maple Valley Dr. has been attributed to discarded smoking materials by City of Madison fire investigators.

Workers at a nearby business called in the fire at 12:35 p.m. on Monday after they saw smoke from a third floor balcony.

The fire damaged two balconies on the multi-family apartment building. Balconies on the second and third floor had fire damage. The fire did not extend to the interior of the building.

Damages are estimated at $1500. Investigators learned a guest at the apartment had stubbed out his cigarette in a potted plant on the balcony. He was fully cooperative with the Fire Department and is working with the occupants of the apartment to repair the damage.

Contacts: 
  • Lori Wirth, (608) 266-5947