DOWNTOWN THEFTS FROM CARS
Thursday, April 2, 2009 - 5:32am
MANY CRIMES REPORTED IN RECENT WEEKS
In the past several weeks there have been numerous reports of thefts from cars parked in the Central District. Almost all cases involve a passenger, or driver's side window being broken out. Among items stolen are: a leather coat, an Ipod, an MP3 player, a couple of GPS units, a purse, a cell phone, a portable DVD player, and CDs. In a few cases windows were broken, and nothing appeared to have been stolen.
Crimes have been reported in the following locations.
• 200 block of N. Hamilton
• 200 block of W. Gorham Street
• 400 block of West Dayton Street
• 10 block of N. Blount Street
• 600 block of W. Mifflin Street
• 400 block of W. Gorham Street
• 800 block of E. Main Street
• 1100 block of Regent Street
• 20 block of N. Orchard Street
• Gerry Court
• 800 block of East Dayton Street
• 100 block of N. Franklin Street
These crimes were reported between March 9th, and March 24th.
The Madison Police Department recommends, when possible, citizens not leave valuables in cars. Putting them under a seat, or in the trunk, is preferable to leaving them in plain view. Often, criminals committing these crimes are opportunistic, and will enter cars where they can see something worth taking.Contacts:
- Joel DeSpain, 608-266-4897