Fire Causes $500,000 In Damage

Monday, July 18, 2011 - 1:39am

A neighbor who lives behind 1521 Jefferson Street pounded on the front door of the home to alert the residents the back of their house was on fire. Four roommates live in the home, but only two were there at the time the fire broke out. Both escaped safely.
At 1:36 AM, 911 Communications Center received several calls regarding the fire.
City of Madison Firefighters arrived around 1:40 AM, Monday morning to find 20 foot flames coming from the two-story home. Firefighters fought the fire on the back deck, while other crews entered the home through the front door and aggressively fought the fire on the first floor. The fire was extinguished around 1:54 AM.
The home suffered major fire and smoke damage throughout the home. The fire caused an estimated $500,000 dollars, including melted siding to the detached garage and to the homes at 1521 & 1523 Jefferson Street.
One firefighter was treated at St. Mary's Hospital for non-life threatening injuries.
Red Cross assisted the residents with immediate needs.
The fire is under investigation.


  • Bernadette Galvez608-261-9844