Fire Damages Apartment and Displaces Six

Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 8:46am

Six people were displaced by a fire on Madison's eastside Sunday morning. Damage, estimated at $50,000, included fire, smoke, and water damage to a second floor apartment and some water damage to the apartment located below it. The Badger Chapter of the American Red Cross is assisting the displaced occupants with temporary shelter and some basic needs.

Firefighters were sent to 10 Summerview Court at 8:47 AM and arrived seven minutes later. The crew from Engine 11 encountered heavy smoke and lots of heat as they entered the apartment. With the assistance of two firefighter/paramedics from Medic 8, they extinguished the fire with a single hose. The fire was declared under control within eight minutes of the first unit's arrival.

The apartment was searched twice by firefighters to insure that all of the occupants were out of danger. Firefighters ventilated smoke from the apartment and checked adjacent units in the building for damage.

The smoke alarms in the apartment functioned as designed and the building's alarm system warned the other tenants of the danger. The eight unit apartment building was already evacuated when fire crews arrived. No injuries were reported at the fire scene. Unattended cooking is listed as the cause of the fire.

The National Fire Protection Association lists cooking fires as the #1 cause of home fires and home fire injuries. More than half (55%) of home cooking fires started with the ignition of food or other cooking materials. Firefighters offer the following cooking safety tips:

• Be on alert! If you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol don't use the stove or stovetop.
• Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove.
• If you are simmering, baking, roasting, or boiling food, check it regularly, remain in the home while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.
• Keep anything that can catch fire - oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains - away from your stovetop.

If you have a cooking fire:

• Just get out! When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire.
• Call 9-1-1 once you are safely outside.
• If you try to fight the fire, be sure others are getting out and you have a clear way out.
• Keep a lid nearby when you're cooking to smother small grease fires. Smother the fire by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the stovetop. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
• For an oven fire turn off the heat and keep the door closed.


  • Eric Dahl608-279-7148