Fire Damages Apartment and Displaces Two People
Tue, 02/28/2012 - 3:55pm
Two people were displaced when a fire damaged their apartment at 58 S. Gammon Road Tuesday night. Firefighters were called to the eight unit apartment building at 5:19 pm. When Ladder 2 arrived, the firefighters observed smoke and flames coming from the windows. Ladder 2 stretched a hose to the first floor apartment and knocked down the fire with a few hundred gallons of water.
Firefighters searched each apartment to make sure everyone was safely out of the building. One resident who is on home oxygen was checked by paramedics. No injuries were reported at the scene.
Fire damage, estimated at $100,000, was limited to the apartment where the fire originated. The cause of the fire is under investigation.
Firefighters remind everyone of these safety tips:
• Install smoke alarms on every level of the home, in each bedroom, and outside each bedroom.
• Test your smoke alarms every month.
• Make an escape plan and have a fire drill to practice your plan.
• When the alarm sounds, get out and stay out.
• After you have escaped, call 9-1-1 from a safe place.
• Never go back inside the building for any reason.
- Eric Dahl, 608-261-9845