Fire Damages Duplex, Displaces Nine Occupants

Monday, November 23, 2009 - 10:44pm

Fire caused approximately $200,000 damage to a duplex on Madison's east side early this morning. The duplex suffered heavy fire damage in one half of the building and smoke damage throughout the building. Nine people living in the duplex were unable to stay in the building due to the damage. The Badger Chapter of the American Red Cross assisted the residents with temporary housing and personal needs.

Firefighters were called for a chimney fire at 6 Andrew Way at 12:23 AM. When Engine 3 arrived, they found smoke and fire in the building. They quickly located the fire and extinguished it with a hoseline. Other crews searched the building for any occupants and ventilated smoke from the building.

Everyone in the duplex escaped without injury before firefighters arrived. The owner of the duplex installed new smoke alarms earlier this year in accordance with the new smoke alarm ordinance. The smoke alarms warned the occupants of the smoke and allowed them to escape safely.

The fire investigator at the scene determined that this fire started in the chimney of a woodburning fireplace.

Firefighters remind everyone of these safety tips:
• Have heating equipment inspected each year
• Fireplaces and chimneys need to be cleaned and inspected at least once each year
• Provide at least three feet of clearance around fireplaces, stoves and space heaters
• Install smoke alarms on every level of the home, in each bedroom, and outside each bedroom. Interconnected smoke alarms are will make sure the alarm is heard throughout the home.
• Test your smoke alarms every month.
• Have a home escape plan and practice it twice a year.
• When the alarm sounds, get out and stay out.
• After you have escaped, call 9-1-1 from a safe place.
• Never go back inside the building for any reason.
• Install and maintain carbon monoxide (CO) alarms to avoid the risk of CO poisoning.

  • Eric Dahl, 608-279-7148