Fire Damages Garage and Contents
Thursday, February 18, 2010 - 4:51pm
Fire damaged an attached garage and its contents at 5430 Greening Lane tonight. The owner was watching TV when he heard a noise in the garage. As he opened the door leading to the garage he discovered the smoke and fire. The man closed the door, left the house, and summoned help. Firefighters were dispatched at 7:19 PM.
Fire and smoke damage was limited to the garage, although there was an odor of smoke left in the house after extinguishment. Fire officials estimate $25,000 in damage to the garage and its contents. Closing the door between the garage and the house limited the spread of smoke and fire into the house. This simple act prevented extensive smoke damage to the home and its contents.
No injuries were reported at the fire scene. The cause of the fire is under investigation.
Firefighters remind everyone of these safety tips:
• Install smoke alarms on every level of the home, in each bedroom, and outside each bedroom. Interconnected smoke alarms will make sure the alarm is heard throughout the home.
• Test your smoke alarms every month.
• Have an escape plan and have fire drills twice a year.
• When the alarm sounds, get out and stay out.
• If you can do so safely, close doors behind you as you leave.
• After you have escaped, call 9-1-1 from a safe place.
• Never go back inside the building for any reason.
- Eric Dahl, 608-279-7148