Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 4:17pm
On Saturday, April 23rd, 911 Communications Center received a phone call around 4:45pm to report a fire at 5301 Raymond Road. Two adult occupants and a small dog were home at the time of the fire, but were outside when firefighters arrived.
Smoke and flames were visible as fire crews arrived at the single family bi level home. When firefighters gained entry, the smoke was banked down on the first floor. Firefighters conducted a search and rescue, quickly extinguished the fire and conducted an overhaul, to be sure the fire did not spread further into the home or attic area. The first floor suffered major fire and smoke damage. The bottom level had some water damage.
Both occupants were evaluated, but were not transported.
The residents were displaced because of the fire and will be staying with relatives. The occupants have insurance. Red Cross was on the scene to assist them with other immediate needs.
The home had two working 9-volt smoke alarms, but are not in compliance with the Madison Smoke Alarm Ordinance.
Fire damage is estimated at $35,000 and is under investigation.
* * *
Firefighters remind everyone of these safety tips:
• Install smoke alarms on every level of the home, in each bedroom or sleeping area, and outside the bedroom doors.
• Test your smoke alarms every month.
• Have a home escape plan and practice it twice a year.
• When the alarm sounds, get out and stay out.
• After you have escaped, call 9-1-1 from a safe place.
• Never go back inside the building for any reason.
• Please visit www.madisonfire.org for more safety information.
- Bernadette Galvez, 608-261-9844