Fire Damages Home's Wall

Monday, May 18, 2009 - 4:56am

Fire caused an estimated $10,000 damage to a home at 2264 Monroe Street this morning. Firefighters were called to the scene at 6:59 AM when the residents noticed smoke in their home.

Firefighters from Engine 4 were the first to arrive and noticed light smoke in the home. Crews from Ladder 6 and Ladder 1 helped them locate the fire in the wall behind the first floor fireplace. Saws and axes were used to cut a hole in the exterior wall and gain access to the burning wood inside. The fire was extinguished with a small amount of water.

Firefighters checked the walls and rooms above the fireplace to make sure the fire did not travel upwards in the walls. Damage was limited to a small section of the wall behind the fireplace. No injuries were reported at the fire scene. The cause of the fire appears accidental.

Firefighters remind everyone of these safety tips:
• Maintain heating equipment and chimneys by having them cleaned and inspected annually by a qualified professional.
• Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment, such as the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable heater.
• Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to prevent sparks from flying into the room and burn only dry, seasoned wood.
• Allow ashes to cool before disposing in a tightly covered metal container, which is kept at least 10 feet away from the home and any other nearby buildings. Douse and saturate with water.
• Install smoke alarms on every level of the home and in each sleeping area. Interconnected smoke alarms will make sure the alarm is heard throughout the home.
• Test your smoke alarms every month.
• Have a home escape plan and practice it twice a year.
• When the alarm sounds, get out and stay out. After you have escaped, call 9-1-1 from a safe place.
• Never go back inside the building for any reason.
• Install and maintain carbon monoxide (CO) alarms to avoid the risk of CO poisoning.

  • Eric Dahl, 608-279-7148