Fire Destroys Home - Everyone Escapes Safely
Sun, 06/05/2011 - 6:03am
At 7:40 pm, City of Madison Fire Crews were called to 1101 Gammon Lane for a report of a structure fire. Smoke was visible above the tree line, before crews were on scene. Once on scene, crews aggressively attacked the fire but were ordered out of the single family home, because the structure became unstable. The fire was then fought defensively.
A neighbor noticed flames coming from the home and notified the occupants of the fire. Two adults, one child and a dog escaped without injury, prior to the arrival of fire crews.
The fire is under investigation. Damage estimates are still being tabulated.
A fire crew stayed on the scene for a fire watch in case of any flare ups.
Red Cross is assisting the residents.
Firefighters remind residents of these safety tips:
• Make a home escape plan.
• Know at least two ways out of each room in your home.
• Have an outside meeting place a safe distance from the home where everyone should meet.
• Practice you home escape plan twice a year.
• When your smoke alarms sound, get out and stay out.
• Once you are outside, call 9-1-1 from a safe place.
• Never go back inside the building until the fire department deems it is safe.
• Please visit www.madisonfire.org and www.nfpa.org for more safety information.
- Bernadette Galvez, 608-261-9844