Fire Extinguished at Carpet Cleaning Business

Friday, December 26, 2008 - 8:36pm

City of Madison firefighters extinguished a fire at White Knight Carpet Cleaning located at 2517 Advance Road late Friday night. The fire caused an estimated $5,000 damage to an exterior wall and a furnace inside the building.

A passerby discovered the fire and called 911. The building is located in a commercial area and the timing of the passerby prevented a much larger fire from occurring.

Firefighters were dispatched at 11:14 PM and arrived within eight minutes. When firefighters approached the building, they found a fire burning along the rear wall of the building. The fire was quickly extinguished and the inside of the building was checked for fire and smoke.

The fire started as the result of a broken natural gas pipe on the building's exterior wall. It appears that snow and ice falling from the roof damaged the pipe. Fire investigators believe that the furnace ignited the leaking natural gas.

The business was closed at the time of the fire and no injuries were reported. Madison Gas and Electric responded to the scene to turn off the natural gas service.

Residents and business owners are reminded that accumulated snow and ice can cause several hazards. Please check the following:

1. Clear accumulated snow and ice from all exits doors.
2. Keep sidewalks and steps free of snow and ice.
3. Clear snow away from dryer vents, gas meters, and furnace exhaust vents.
4. Shovel out an area at least 3 feet around the fire hydrant nearest to your home or business. This will allow firefighters to quickly locate and connect to the hydrant if needed.
5. If you smell natural gas, leave the building and call 911 after you are safely outside.


  • Eric Dahl608-279-7148