Fire on Glenway Street Causes $50,000 Damage to Home

Monday, December 8, 2008 - 9:47pm

On Tuesday, December 9, 2008 at 12:35 AM, City of Madison Firefighters were called to a structure fire at 40 Glenway Street. As crews approached the single family home, a column of black smoke was billowing from the front door, where the occcupant of the home was standing. Fire crews gained entry, and found the smoke had banked four feet from the floor throughout the structure. Fire crews extinguished a fire within 13 minutes.While burning a fire in the fireplace the occupant fell asleep, when a log fell from the fireplace and caught paper and wood items on fire. The occupant awoke and tried to put the fire out several times before calling 911. The occupant and his dog escaped from the home. Smoke detectors were not found in the home.The occupant was treated at the scene, but was not transported.Red Cross was notified. Occupant has insurance.Engine 9, Engine 4, Ladder 2, Ladder 1, Rescue 9, Engine 3, Car 31 and PIO 79 were called to the scene.The fire damage is estimated at $50,000.

  • Bernadette Galvez, 608-261-9844
  • , 608-279-7168