Tuesday, April 1, 2014 - 4:44pm
City of Madison Firefighters were dispatched to a report of a dryer fire in a 60-unit apartment complex at 1459 E. Main Street, the Yahara River View Apartments, around 8:00 am.
An occupant in the second floor apartment saw the fire in the dryer, ran out in the hallway and knocked on the door of another resident for help. She also called 911 and ran back into the apartment to help three occupants evacuate, because they are wheelchair-bound. The person who came to help, pulled the fire alarm and grabbed a fire extinguisher. As he was trying to put the fire out with the extinguisher, the fire sprinkler system activated and extinguished the fire. There was significant smoke within the apartment, but no one was injured.
Fire crews checked the apartment to be sure the fire did not get into the walls or ceiling. Large fans were used to ventilate the smoke from the building. Firefighters also assisted residents, some of whom were in wheelchairs and walkers, into a community room to keep warm.
Estimated fire damage to two apartments is $10,000. A total of six people, along with their care takers were displaced because of the fire. Red Cross assisted three residents with housing and essential needs. Everyone else was allowed to return to their apartments.
The fire sprinkler system limited damage and allowed the residents to evacuate safely. One sprinkler head activated and extinguished the fire.
The National Fire Protection Association – NFPA- is an excellent source for fire safety educational materials for people with disabilities. Check out their link and download many of their free materials and resources.
- Bernadette Galvez, 608-279-7168, firstname.lastname@example.org