Firefighters Prevent Gas Leak Disaster

January 22, 2014

 
A potential disaster was averted by Firefighters when a gas leak was found in a home on Adobe Way.  Firefighters from Engine 7 were preparing to install Carbon Monoxide alarms when they smelled natural gas.
 
On January 16th Thursday morning, Firefighters smelled natural gas while assessing the lower level of the home for the installation of CO alarms. Firefighters used a Sensit monitor to locate the source of the leak. Gas was leaking from a valve below the fireplace and readings were reaching dangerous levels, approaching the Lower Explosive Levels (LEL).
 
Firefighters immediately told the homeowner to evacuate. Crews turned off the gas supply to the fireplace and ventilated the home. MG&E also responded to the scene.
 
The Lieutenant on Engine 7 said his crew prevented a catastrophe from happening by locating the gas leak in the home.
 
Engine 7 crew members were at the home installing Carbon Monoxide alarms provided through a Fire Prevention and Safety Grant from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). The grant includes smoke alarms. The Fire Prevention and Safety (FP&S) Grants are part of the Assistance to Firefighters Grants (AFG) and support projects that enhance the safety of the public and firefighters from fire and related hazards. The primary goal is to reduce injury and prevent death among high-risk populations
 
If you are interested in receiving smoke or carbon monoxide alarms please call the City of Madison Fire Department Community Education Unit at 266-4709.
 
The qualifications are as follows;

  • You must own your own home in the City of Madison or the Village of Shorewood Hills
  • You must also:
    • You must be 65 or older or
    • Have children age 5 or younger in your home or
    • Someone in the home must have a disability

 
If you qualify:

  • We will provide the smoke alarms (powered by 10 year battery)
  • We will provide the carbon monoxide alarms (plug in)
  • We will install the alarms
  • We will provide you with fire safety information
Contact: