Firefighters Rescue Three Children From Roof As Duplex Catches Fire

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 - 7:22pm

City of Madison Firefighters saved three children from the roof of their burning home on Wednesday evening.

Firefighters were called to 914 Chapel Hill Road at 7:15 pm, where they found three children on the garage roof screaming, while heavy smoke was billowing from the structure. Flames were also visible from the back side of the duplex.

When fire crews arrived at the scene, firefighters immediately put a ladder to the roof and safely helped the children to the ground. Firefighters also rescued a dog from the home. The fire was extinguished within 12 minutes.

The blaze displaced one adult and three children. Their duplex, 914 Chapel Hill Road, suffered extensive fire damage to the first floor and moderate smoke damage to the second floor. 910 Chapel Hill Road sustained smoke damage and displaced a couple, who were not home at the time the fire broke out.

Smoke alarms alerted the children of the fire. No one was hurt.

Estimated damage is $75,000 with property loss at $60,000 and contents at $15,000.
The fire is under investigation, which appears to have started in the kitchen.

Red Cross was notified to assist the occupants.


  • Bernadette Galvez608-279-7168
  • 608-261-9844