Flames and Smoke Cause Heavy Damage to Home
Tue, 10/26/2010 - 4:38pm
Smoke and flames caused approximately $100,000 damage to a home at 4210 Doncaster Drive this evening. City of Madison firefighters were sent to the fire at 6:09 PM and saw smoke and flames coming from the home's second floor windows as they arrived.
Fire crews made a fast interior attack on the fire and had it knocked down five minutes after their arrival. Quick extinguishment and good ventilation of the roof prevented the high winds from spreading the fire into other parts of the home.
Nobody was home at the time of the fire and no injuries were reported at the scene. Firefighters searched the home to confirm that no one was inside.
The cause of this fire is under investigation.
Firefighters remind everyone of these safety tips:
• Install smoke alarms on every level of the home and in each sleeping area. Interconnected smoke alarms will make sure the alarm is heard throughout the home.
• Test your smoke alarms every month.
• Have a home escape plan and practice it twice a year.
• When the alarm sounds, get out and stay out.
• After you have escaped, call 9-1-1 from a safe place.
• Never go back inside the building for any reason.
• Please visit www.madisonfire.org for more safety information.
- Eric Dahl, 608-279-7148