Freon Leak Sends Two Employees to Hospital
Friday, January 8, 2010 - 3:34am
A Freon leak at a local factory resulted in two people being treated and transported to the hospital this morning. Madison Fire Department units were called to Therma-Store at 4201 Lien Road at 7:28 AM for two employees who were experiencing breathing problems after they were exposed to the Freon gas.
According to Therma-Store representatives, a 1,000-pound cylinder of Freon that was located in the building leaked an unknown quantity of the gas. Approximately twenty employees were exposed to the gas when they reported for work this morning.
Before firefighters arrived, the cylinder was moved outside and the building was ventilated to remove the gas. Firefighters used a gas monitor to check the building for safe oxygen levels. The Madison Fire Department Hazardous Incident Team (HIT) was consulted for chemical information, specifically Freon's affect on the body and recommended treatment of the patients' symptoms.
Freon is a gas that is commonly used as a refrigerant in air conditioning systems.Contacts:
- Eric Dahl, 608-279-7148