Garage Fire Causes $4,000 Damage
Monday, September 30, 2013 - 2:15am
City of Madison firefighters responded to a garage fire at 2:30 p.m. Sunday. Upon arrival at the scene in the 1900 block of Kropf Ave., Engine Company 10 observed smoke coming from a detached garage in the back.
Smoke was still coming from electrical equipment and some mechanical tools. Cross members on the trusses were smoking and charred.
Engine 10 and Ladder 8 performed overhaul and soaked the garage and contents with water.
The owner reported he had been smoking in the garage at least two times throughout the afternoon. Firefighters found evidence that the fire may have started from a discarded cigarette in the trash can, and spread to a bench above the trash can. It then spread to the rest of the building and ignited a stereo and tools.
A neighbor notified the owner that there was smoke coming from the garage. She dialed 911 while the owner began to put the fire out with the garden hose.Contacts:
- Lori Wirth, 608-266-5947