Grill on Balcony Starts Fire at Lucky Apartments

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 - 8:20am

City of Madison Firefighters doused a grill fire on a 7th floor balcony this morning at the Lucky Apartments, 777 University Ave.

Crews were initially told the fire was on the 5th floor. As they searched that floor, they noticed flames reflected in windows two stories above them. Crews entered the apartment on the 7th floor and found an occupant asleep on the couch. The grill was burning on an outside porch.

It took a full water extinguisher and 4 pitchers of water to completely extinguish the fire. There was damage to the balcony flooring, but no extension into the apartment.
The occupants were cooperative with fire investigators. A citation will be issued.

The City of Madison Fire Department reminds residents:
City ordinances state that grills and other cooking devices with an open flame shall not be operated on combustible balconies or within 10 feet of combustible construction.

1. One- and two-family dwellings.
2. Where buildings and decks are protected by an automatic sprinkler system.

•Propane and charcoal BBQ grills should only be used outdoors.
•Keep children and pets away from the grill area.
•Keep your grill clean by removing grease from the grills and in trays below the grill.
•Never leave your grill unattended
•Always follow manufacturer's instructions.
•Perform an annual safety inspection prior to the first cookout of the season.
•Propane tanks should never be used or stored on a balcony or inside a building.

  • Lori Wirth, (608) 266-