Wednesday, August 6, 2014 - 7:39pm
The Madison Fire Department Hazardous Incident Team (HIT) responded to Oscar Mayer Foods this afternoon to neutralize a chemical reaction.
Madison Firefighters were sent to 910 Mayer Avenue at 2:59 p.m. after lactic acid and sodium nitrate were accidentally mixed together. An employee recognized the mistake, quickly moved the 35 gallon barrel of material outside the factory and called 911.
Engine 8 made an assessment of the scene and gathered information from Oscar Mayer personnel. The information was relayed to the Hazardous Incident Team to begin product research while they were responding to the scene. Research revealed that these materials react when mixed, producing heat and acid fumes.
HIT team members, wearing protective clothing and air packs, neutralized the reaction using soda ash. Firefighters also used monitors to check the air quality during the incident.
The neutralized material was contained in a plastic holding tank. Oscar Mayer Foods contacted a disposal contractor to remove the material and dispose of it.
No injuries were reported at the scene.
- Eric Dahl, 608-261-9845, firstname.lastname@example.org