HIT Team Contains Liquid Chlorine Leak
June 18, 2012
The City of Madison Fire Department's Hazardous Incident Team (HIT) was quick to contain a liquid chlorine spill after a truck-mounted tank sprang a leak.
The truck carrying pool supplies was eastbound on Odana Road at Tokay Boulevard this morning just before 10:30 a.m. When the truck stopped for a red light, the cap sealing the chlorine tank popped off, splashing approximately 30 gallons of the product into the truck bed and onto the street.
At the time of the spill, the 1600-gallon tank had approximately 1200 gallons of chlorine in it. Initial reports that the truck was also carrying acid raised concerns that the two products might have mixed, causing dangerous vapors. However, the acid container remained sealed, and no mixing occurred.
Odana Road was blocked for about 30-40 minutes while firefighters checked the source of the leak and mitigated the spill. A representative of the pool supply company brought a new cap and housing to the scene so that firefighters could once again secure the tank.
There were no injuries.
- Lori Wirth, (608) 266-5947