Home Compost Classes Set for Madison Public Libraries
Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 4:13am
April 10, 2013 - Madison, WI - Spring is just around the corner, and with the warmer weather come preparations for gardening and landscaping. Madison Public Library is pleased to announce a series of Home Composting Classes, presented by the City of Madison Streets Division, at seven Madison Public Library locations.
Taught by George Dreckmann, Recycling Coordinator for the City of Madison, these always-popular classes cover home compost basics, including an introduction to compostable materials, where to place your compost bin, and how to tend to your compost. Plans for building a compost bin will be available, and information regarding leaf management will also be presented. All classes are offered free of charge.
Join George Dreckmann at one of these classes and get started composting:
• Wednesday, April 24, 7 pm, Monroe Street Library (1705 Monroe Street, 266-6390)
• Wednesday, May 1, 7 pm, Pinney Library (204 Cottage Grove Rd.,224-7100)
• Saturday, May 18, 10 am, Lakeview Library (2845 N. Sherman Ave., 246-4547)
• Saturday, May 18, 2 pm, Meadowridge Library (5740 Raymond Rd., 288-6160)
• Wednesday, May 22, 7 pm, Alicia Ashman Library (733 N. High Point Rd., 824-1780)
• Saturday, May 25, 10 am, Hawthorne Library (2707 E. Washington Ave., 246-4548)
• Saturday, May 25, 2 pm, Goodman South Madison Library (2222 S. Park St., 266-6395)
• Wednesday, May 29, 7 pm, Sequoya Library (4340 Tokay Blvd., 266-6385)
Those interested in purchasing a compost bin have the opportunity to do so at the City of Madison and Dane County annual Compost Bin Sale, to be held at the Alliant Energy Center on Saturday, May 4. Earth Machine Home Composter compost bins, Systern rain barrels, kitchen scrap pails, and compost turners, will be available at a discounted price. Bins and other equipment will be sold on a first come, first served basis, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. For more information on the sale, visit http://www.cityofmadison.com/streets
- George Dreckmann, 267-2626
- Tana Elias, 266-4953