House Fire Quickly Extinguished
Sun, 04/14/2013 - 6:22pm
Fire caused approximately $15,000 damage to a home located at 218 N. Marquette Street late Sunday night. One person was home at the time of the fire and escaped without injury.
Firefighters were dispatched to the house fire at 9:49 p.m. The first-in crews arrived five minutes later and saw flames coming from a second floor window. A fire attack crew entered the home and quickly extinguished a fire on the second floor. This quick attack kept the fire from spreading to other rooms in the house.
Firefighters searched the home for any occupants, ventilated smoke from the building, and covered up damaged windows to protect the home's interior from the elements.
The home suffered smoke and fire damage, but the owner will be able to remain in the house.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
Firefighters remind everyone of these safety tips:
• Install smoke alarms on every level of the home, in each bedroom, and outside each bedroom.
• Test your smoke alarms every month.
• Make an escape plan and have a fire drill to practice your plan.
• When the alarm sounds, get out and stay out.
• After you have escaped, call 9-1-1 from a safe place.
• Never go back inside the building for any reason.
- Eric Dahl, 608-261-9845