Important Deadline Next Monday (12/23) to Sign up for Health Insurance Marketplace Coverage beginning January 1, 2014
Friday, December 20, 2013 - 10:25am
A number of important deadlines are coming up quickly for people wanting to sign up for health coverage through the federal Health Insurance Marketplace. Those wanting coverage to start January 1, 2014 must sign up by next Monday, December 23. The deadline to pay the first month’s premium for coverage starting on January 1 is now January 10. The last day to apply for health insurance to start April 1, 2014 is March 15, 2014.
Dane County residents can apply for health insurance on the healthcare.gov website or get one-on-one assistance at a number of locations in Dane County. See a list of locations offering help below.
The marketplace offers subsidies to those with qualifying incomes to help pay for the cost of monthly health insurance premiums. Subsidies are determined through the federal marketplace application process.
Dane County is also fortunate to have an extra program to help qualified residents pay for insurance. HealthConnect, supported by UW Health, is available to Dane County residents who are applying for the health insurance through the exchange with incomes between 100% and 133% of the federal poverty level.
“The health care community has come together through the work of the Dane County Health Council to assist individuals with navigating the many changes in the health insurance landscape,” explains Leslie Howard, President and CEO of United Way of Dane County.
Once individuals have applied for health insurance through the marketplace, they can call United Way 2-1-1 or visit unitedwaydanecounty.org/healthconnect and apply.
Locations, dates and times for one-on-one assistance include the following.
- Certified Application Counselors (CACs) from Access Community Health Centers are located at the Dane County Job Center to answer questions about the Health Insurance Exchange and help complete applications daily from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Enrollment Fairs are held at the Dane County Job Center every Thursday afternoon from 1:00 to 6:00 p.m. through December 26. Representatives from Dean Health Plan, Group Health Cooperative of South Central Wisconsin, Physicians Plus Insurance and Unity Health Insurance are available to answer questions about their plans. Help is also available to apply for HealthConnect assistance.
- Public Health-Madison & Dane County counselors are at public library and community center locations. A complete schedule with dates and times of assistance can be found on their website www.publichealthmdc.com.
- Cognosante recently began providing enrollment assistance services. They have a federal contract to assist individuals with enrolling in the health insurance exchange. Funding for the contract for this work is from the Prevention and Public Health Fund (PPHF). Individuals can make appointments with Cognosante staff by calling 608-826-7309.
- Access Community Health Centers has ten additional CACs reaching out to thousands of Access patients to help them enroll.
- All four Dane County hospitals (Meriter Hospital, St. Mary’s Hospital, UW Hospital and Clinics and Stoughton Hospital) have CACs available to assist patients.
This news release from Public Health - Madison and Dane County is being posted on behalf of the Dane County Health Council. The Council consists of the following organizations:
Access Community Health Centers
Dane County Department of Human Services
Dane County Medical Society
Dean Health Plan
Group Health Cooperative of South Central Wisconsin
Meriter Health Services
Physicians Plus Insurance
Public Health Madison & Dane County
St. Mary’s Hospital
United Way of Dane County
Unity Health Insurance
Wisconsin Council on Children and Families
- Lynn Welch, (608) 663-5120, Lynn.Welch@AccessHealthWI.org